Friday, October 8, 2010

Ch. 7

A counter argument is when we use another claim to the argument to further understanding the premises. I use it to question if there are any other claims to get the answer when my friends have a dubious claim. There are a few ways to find a refuting argument if: one of the premises is dubious, there is no valid or strong arguments and if the conclusion is false. A bad claim cannot be a good counter argument, hence forth a slippery slope contains a contradiction.  An example of a counter argument is when the media says that the best tram in the NFL are the New York Jets. New Orleans are the current Super Bowl champs so they get a vote in it. Or the Kansas City Chiefs because they are the only team undefeated right now. Also media does a strawman because each has a say on who is the best team to get more readers/viewer. Every media on sports put more info in fantasy that they counter argue each other. For example, one can say that Peyton Manning will get 20 points and another can say he will get 25 points which can make or break a game.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. First of all, I really like the background you have for your blog. Second of all, your examples for the concepts you have provided are very interesting and understandable. I could not find clear, and understandable examples which related to me, in the textbook. I am huge sports follower as well, and the strawman concept happens every single time. I completely agree with your claim on how sport authorities / xyz, just randomly tips everything onto their side by creating a strawman effect. I also like the other example where you used the different teams to bring out the counter argument into play. I also do believe that, most of the counter argument starts based on personal touch. In other words, I think it is totally subjective. One makes, and thinks differently, even though they know the stats do not back them up. And that is where they lose the argument; yet many people continue to counter argue without support. All in all, I liked your post :)

    ReplyDelete