Wednesday, October 6, 2010

ch.6

Chapter 6 is a bout compound claims that we use all the time. Compound claims have two contradictory: A or B and A not B. What I learned was that claims have different methods of contractions to see if it is a good claim to an argument. We use conditional claims  that must have the same truth-value. For example, if a football player uses steroids then he will be caught and be banned, but the contradictory is if he uses it and will not be caught. In my daily life I use the contradictory of a conditional to contradict something I do but regret it. Another example we use for a compound claim is that claims can be sequential to what happens next. Just today When I woke up there were different possible ways form A to B. There were different ways that I woke up too. Alarm clock, phone ringing, or when they clean the streets is ways I woke up.

1 comment:

  1. I like the way in which you broke down compound claims. Your explanation was very simple and concise. You used steroids and football players to explain contradictories. A contradictory is an essential part of the compound claim. It provides the other side to an argument. The contradictory reminds me of some type of math equation, where there is a claim and the other side is a contradictory. It is a very basic concept, yet it is essential to understand. The claim balances out with the contradictory. Your last example would need a little tweaking. There is that A to B example, but providing other examples and variables wouldn’t make sense. So instead of stating other ways in which you woke up, you would write how you didn’t wake up because of alarm clock or phone ringtone. But all in all, great post!

    ReplyDelete